Skip to main content

easy like sunday morning... (and the rest of the week)

Finally found a sunday market.... yey... purely by chance we were driving from Ecommoy past the giant traffic cone near where we had camped to the Belvedere du Mont des Avaloirs and we came across a banner saying fetes dans la ville... but in better french. Then we got diverted because the fete was on the road we wanted! Then we found visitors parking and as we were in no rush and Dr Fred was being spontaneous we stopped and had a wander. Little fun fair, food stalls and quite a few rows of.... glorious junk mainly.  
It was nice to meander through the different stalls looking for bric a brac that might become treasure. I was very restrained - these days things have to call out that I just cant live without them. Odd items almost did and then some orange and red 1960s/70s weird juice glasses did faintly whisper and more importantly the lady selling them said 2 euros... six juice glasses in a pretty tray with room for jugs - deal done. I've spent €8 this week and I have 7 elegant champagne flutes, 6 retro jiuce glasses, olive forks, and an interesting box. Great haul!!!

We carried on driving through some really pretty villages slowly gaining height until we reached the landmark denoting the highest point in Western France. The Bevedere du Monts des Avaloir. It is a huge concrete structure errected in 1994. There are 4 stories and steps to reach the top- reaching the dizzy altitude height of 433.70 metres. It gave amazing 360 views. Its a busy little spot but enough parking and more of aconstant stream of visitors rather than lots all at once. 
We walked up the 100 plus clanging metal steps ( see though so not for everyone) through the modern art on the interior walls, (remindedme of bathroom at home)  to check the fantastic views out and then went back down and had tea. 15 mins before sunset we climbed the tower again to watch a glorious sunset. We were way above tree top level and the sun glistening right on the topmost leaves was very pretty. It was lovely to watch the surrounding landscape change colour and darken as the sun slowly slip over the far horizon. The colours were superb in the sky - great swathes of deep oranges and dark reds against a pale blue sky. There is nothing that beats those colours... 

The nights are dropping a bit chillier now. Not cold but cardigan weather - we sat on top of the tower for about 45 mins after sunset, we spotted a very bright venus and eventually Vega and the summer triangle - but we were cooling down so we took the metal steps that seemed to sing and wended our way back to the vansion.

Our parking app said we could park for the night so we decided to do that...
The other fantastic thing that happened was that Dr Fred found my paint palatte...hurrah... I had been quite fed up as I thought I must have lost it at a campsite pre eclipse... I really thought it had got mislaid at our friends but it just disappeared only to reappear in the van driver door! Sentimental really I've had this travel palette for a long time. I was missing it - also bit miffed as I had just placed most of the paint pans... buts its home🤩
We had a quiet nights kip and set off to look for the roches de chien in Bagnoles de l'Orne. This, apparently is a spa town - on arrival we realised that in season it was probably very popular - lots of cafes and huge posh hotelsIt had a nice lake and some quite funky paganish type drift wood and metal sculptures dotted about. 
We found the crags and took an uphill path until we were walking on the top of them. It was a really nice path though ancient forest but very overgrown and the actual dog rock wasn't really evident. Dr Fred decided that touching a bit of Normandy granite would have to suffice for the time being. We walked slowly back into town - it was Monday again so nothing even pretends to be open but it was a pretty space. We decided not to sleep there it was early in the day so we carried on up the road until we found a fab spot in a forest clearing and we decided to spend the night there. It looked a bit wild... if I disappear its because I've been fed to the wild boar.... (8 weeks is a long time in a van 🤣🤣)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Total Eclipse Spain 2026

Eclipse day!!!!  Most of the photos on here were taken by friends...my phone died...  I dont use names on here but you know who you are thank you....  This will be Dr Freds 8th eclipse and my 6th... I have 100% clear viewing and its continued that way. Our friends have this amazing house tucked away on the side of a hill - fortuitously right on the centre line of the 2026 eclipse.  And... to make it even better they have a roof terrace which gave us an almost perfect elevation to see the total eclipse in all its glory.   Dr Fred wasnt sure at first - he worried that as totality was so close to sunset we might not be high enough before the sun disappeared under the ridge.  So, the evenings leading up to the night of the actual event, required a lot of balancing on the roof with spirit levels at various degrees and exact timings for exact positioning of the sun and considerable maths.... yes it was complicated but it p...

Autumnal Garden Days

I love these (rare) warm sunny late summer days and there is all sorts of lovely things  going on in my garden... I counted 12 red admiral butterflies whizzing around the over grown ivy which I had been about to hack down but then left until the flutterbies have finished with it... The late blooms add a dash of colour and the daisy strewn lawn is littered with autumnal leaves, debris from my brief half an hour of slash and burn and the stone wall is covered in glorious soft moss all shiny and tactile with a few late nasturtiums loitering. I've hacked out the brambles for this year, sadly I missed the fruit as we were away, ditto the strawberries, we never seem to get the fruit before the birds so I've made space and moved the plants that were getting swamped and so not performing to their potential - hopefully next year they will literally blossom now they have light and room to flourish.

Alesund

Our final destination stop was Alesund. This is a very pretty town in southern Norway built on a peninsula. All the houses are painted pretty colours and a lot of the architecture is all very Art Nouveau based. This is because the town itself was completely burnt to the ground In 1904 by a fire for which they never found the original cause. The whole town had to be rebuilt and this became a huge National Effort and a lot of prominent and up and coming architects flocked to the town to stick there 20 pence in. Consequently the town is very heavily Art Nouveau which was very fashionable at the time. There is this wonderful Museum just off the harbour which is a very beautiful Art Nouveau house. It has amazing panelling, doors, wallpaper, and it's all furnished with beautiful art Nouveau Furniture. It also house a collection of of enameled Art Nouveau Trinkets,boxes, spoons, jewellery, very very beautiful.   There is an interesting collection of old books and paintings a...