We meant to get up early but didn't manage it 🤣. Still we got organised pretty sharp and headed to water and can emptying facilities... I have to give it to France, they really look after campervanners. At the local supermarket we got drinking water and were able to empty loo and bins all for free. There was also a free overnight parking a bit further down the road - but we were heading for the cliffs halfway to Calais. We had changed our ferry for the following day so just one last explore before heading home .
The road across northern france was dominated by tractors and cement mixer lorries. I've never seen so many concentrated🤣🤣. But it was a good road and made driving the first couple of hours much easier.. We passed through some very pretty places lots of old buildings but then.... the journey turned into a complete nightmare... ridiculous roads farm tracks more tractors (coming the wrong way down one way roads) and then we discovered we were heading for a non existant ferry...... at this point we were dispairing... so we put fastest route including toll roads into satnav and hey presto a complete about turn back the way we had just come but 40 minutes and 40 k's knocked off journey. We finally ended up on a farm camping in Benouville a small place just west of Etratet and a great place to explore the chalk cliffs from.
We were so stressed after this epic drive - we needed a cup of tea and a brisk walk along the cliff tops. The cliffs were very steep, chalky, beautiful... white and it was quite windy... I had a bad headache but the wind helped clear it. To be honest the cliffs were so high and straight into the sea I didn't much like being too near the edge and I didn't even like watching Dr Fred getting near the edge...there were some stunning rock formations and a fab sea stack. We were heading for a distant headland but it just seemed to get further away so after about 30 minutes wandering I turned back and walked slowly back, away from the wind which was actually quite pleasant. Dr Fred continued to the headland he always needs to know what's round the next corner. As it happened he went on for quite a way almost to the next village.
We stopped at the farm overnight. We had a fairly dreadful night🤣. I think we had got complacent re mozzies... and there were several lurking in the van just waiting for us to go to sleep... I got bitten more that night than the entire holiday - at 3.30 in the morning we were sat looking for the evil critters with surprising results - definite elimination of two but the pesky little bu**ers still out there. Eventually I resorted to spray deet but defo crap night... It was quiet through the night but a lot of farm traffic from about 6.00am, Dr Fred heard it all I slept through everything. We reluctantly surfaced and got organised tp catch the ferry home later that day.
Comments
Post a Comment