Skip to main content

Blog birthday

I started this blog on Jan 8th 2016 as a task I had to complete for a Newcastle college module when I was studying the printed and constructed textile course there.  It wasn't the right course for me - it made assumptions about learning abilities and suited a younger audience who wouldn't question methods and had little experience of textiles or life in general.. Of course what the younger generation had was computer knowledge and I would never have survived the two years I wasted there without support from the other students sharing their computer savvy!!

In among the little teaching we were given, we were expected to devise, implement and write this blog with little or no tuition or any guidance - (yes that is harsh but I had no idea at all and when I sought support it wasn't given at any level) I was very proud when I mastered the technology and programme needed and I managed to put this together and feel quite pleased it has survived for four years!!!  For me this blog had been an interesting document of my return to learn journey plus a pleasant reminder of some of my adventures I have had over the last 4 years.  It keeps me in touch with quite a number of far flung friends and some people find it entertaining in parts and less so in others!! I don't really mind if it gets read or not, its just the modern way of a longstanding diary I have kept on and off for almost 50 years... its slightly different to the diary I got with a lock for possibly Christmas 1970 - some of the old diaries have survived but many have be lost over the years - no great loss I should imagine 😊

This year on Jan 8th 2020 we are moving house - quite another entirely different undertaking - its quite possible this move will be our forever house - kind of weird feeling given I lived in my almost  first house for such a long time - from being 6 years old through to the grand age of  52 ( a long story for another place) and then Dr Fred and I  have been quite transient for a few years - and now quite suddenly we are 'settling' down.

Its very exciting - a new chapter in our life together, Dr Fred is already quite grey these days and I suspect he will be entirely white by the year end!!   He is already 'surprised' by some of my wallpaper suggestions.... I am surprised he is surprised after all this time together and the most recent advent of the crazy dog paper - he will have to learn... meanwhile my final year of my degree calls and most decorating and home improvements will have to wait until the summer so he has plenty of time to adjust.

So a new year a new start - I have posted approx 450 blog pages mostly about my art journey and the inspiration that drives me.   I have had over 25,000 views of various pages - dunno if this is good or bad - I've nothing to compare it to, this blog was only ever intended to be a fun way of documenting my progress through college and life in general, as I said, its nice that some people read it and enjoy my ramblings and obviously if you don't care for it you wouldn't don't read it!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi