Skip to main content

Wallpaper I have Loved ....

 I seem to be going through a wallpaper phase at the moment... and usually the wallpapers I like are mostly beyond my budget and occasionally just within - supposing I am creative about how I use them.  Back in the day of my first house renovation I fell in love with an Osborne and Little paper which I remember being astounded at its extreme expense £25 a roll 😂😂😂 - How I wish that was todays expensive..... Anyway I splashed out and put in on the ceiling in our living room - thats at least 25 years ago and its still there - looking good and proving a good investment!!! 

not the best photo but you get the idea...

Next was the much more expensive Nina Campbell which I put up - causing me to completely change my new kitchen colour scheme - how to tie red and black gloss, vivid green, purple and delphinium blue together - believe me it can and was done!!! I was very pleased with it but sadly it wasn't long after I finally got the kitchen of my dreams aged 52 I upped and left home - to travel oop north and move in with Dr Fred.... which is why I have been given so much free reign now to remodel the new kitchen in our lives...

loved this house and community - we just ran out of space

I did find some rather fab cheap and cheerful 1950's inspired paper which I used, much to my landladies amusement - but with her permission - when we lived in Northumberland - it really brightened up a small dark space for the time we were there.  Then of course I put my own special take on designer wallpaper up when we moved the village of the doomed - this house was lovely house in a really rather weird area and definitely benefited from the black and white stripes with my personal dog head drawings photocopied and stuck on it at random places.... these creations were in rented properties and removed when we left leaving the walls as we found them. 
this is my fave - Dr Fred was fine with it until someone pointed out it was Newcastle football colours!!!

Now we have our own home and it transpires my painting is messy!!! and Dr Fred doesn't like me doing it... it makes him very edgy and he gets easily alarmed if I get hold of a paintbrush. so we compromise, I hang wallpaper and he paints - admittedly most of my hanging paper is boring endless lining paper as we are in the process of redecorating every single room in the house and while the walls under the dreaded anaglypta are in reasonable nick they will not just take paint and lining out is the best option.   

So I have rediscovered wallpaper - while in college I found Emma Shipley and now have some of her paper in the kitchen at Coundon Tower - and a wallpapered wardrobe - and I'm a little bit addicted to wallpaper sites on the internet.  I'm starting to have quite a comprehensive collection of samples.  

wallpapered wardrobe and alcove

I still find wallpaper is tricky to place - as in where it goes rather than how to do it - it quite often doesn't work on a wall for me - maybe on furniture or ceilings or just a little space - its mostly a bit too repeating for me and I welcome the advent of digital printing as this really frees up the pattern possibilities - the wallpaper I designed at college was made to hang with random colour stripes - the pattern was uniform but the back ground could be varied so it would never have to be the same too often.  Wallpaper patterns can be overwhelming in a room and to be honest the stuff I like is so ridiculously expensive I would have to live with it forever and I'm not prepared to make that commitment. Occasionally I find something cheap and cheerful and works for me.  I did just this last week and now our shower room is undergoing a transformation from clean clinical white to a dark and broody black and peacock flower infested riot floor to ceiling - its looking very cosy so far.. its a smaller repeat than I had hoped for but its much nicer than white!

I need to paint the ceiling....and find a suitable floor

We looked at a lot of different papers for the dining room and decided to just paint it - if one day I find that paper I JUST CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT then we will use it some where but not in a room which I suspect will become an overflow sewing, map, music room - used only for eating on high days and holidays - its slowly being made very elegant with deep purple paint and will look amazing once we have the 100 or so gold frames hung and the floor to ceiling bookcases which I am tempted to spray gold as well but will prob settle for purple. Picture to follow when it is a little further on. 

Finally there is a Designer Guild paper I'm toying with for the hall stairs and landing - we have a dado rail so its almost affordable to put it half way up the wall - but we are just not sure and need to sort potential flooring before we make a final decision.... and flooring is another tale altogether for another day.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi