Skip to main content

Working From Home WFH!!!

The motivation to do college work from home has been low, I know that in the light of the bigger picture not having a degree show or a graduation is minor but its still disappointing and also I had under estimated how much I would miss the inspiration, the chat, the support, the camaraderie of my fellow students in our and across other year groups... I'm definitely missing the technical support and wish I could recall more of my one to one session re InDesign - I know its not complicated but its thwarting me at the moment!!!!!

Anyway after a relaxing week in the garden - as relaxing as one can be knowing the virus is out there - we are lucky to be safe and hunkered down with plenty to do - I have decided to get as much uni work done as possible.  Its likely going to be a digital hand in and this means less scarves actually printed at this point, but lots of photography especially as my sketch book is crammed to the gills and multi layered and wont look half as good in pictures as it does in real life - C'est la vie....


I printed 6 scarves at college before we had to shut - and I have finished two of them. The first one is embellished with beads, sparingly at this point but I may add more - I don't want to over do it but It may enhance just to have a few more.  The beading looks nice and adds a little bit of weight to the fabric, I have also hand rolled the hem, really just to show I can - I was going to get 6 more scarves printed on silk and hand roll them as a luxury finish but I will wait until this health epidemic is over before I spend unnecessary cash and effort!! .  At college we can only print on the sublimation printer, which is a heat transfer process so only works on synthetic fabric.  One of the textile techs sourced me some lovely fine almost muslin like fabric which I have used - Empress polyester colours well and drapes very nicely.  It isn't as heavy as the faux silk or satin and it works very well for my designs.  I have also printed the finals scarves as big as I could and after hemming they are approx 105 cms square this makes quite a difference and they feel much more substantial.



The second finished (for now ) piece is the red beetle scarf and I have painstakingly hot fixed a large number of glittery rhinestone gems onto the various beetle backs.  the stones were generously donated to me by my sponsor https://www.rhinestonesonline.co.uk/.   It looks great but the overall effect doesn't show up in the photos so well.  Its quite subtle - that was the intention, the colours are loud and vibrant and the gems again just add a little weight and surprise glint every now and again.  It has however, made me want to seriously bling something in an over the top manner and I giving the remaining scarves some thought!!!




I have sent off for some trim for another scarf which I intend to embroider - delivery times for trimmings is 3 weeks at the moment as - quite rightly - essential items are getting priority - I hope it comes in time though!!!

Just for the record I have spent hours practicing hemming with the hemming foot and it frustrates me beyond belief that I cant do it!!!!!!!!   I have ended up just hemming the beetle using normal foot and it looks fine!!! but I will master the  hem foot one day!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi