Skip to main content

Two years on. A passing (brief) reflection and hint of things to come....

I've been waffling on writing this blog for over two years now!! Time for a little reflection....

Originally I set it up as a college assignment to document, evidence, and showcase my work on the Printed and Constructed Textiles degree course.   Right from the start I decided there was more to my life then the coursework and that in fact my whole lifestyle choices and interests lend massive influence to all the creative work I undertake right from doodle sketches to the bigger more ambitious project either on a course work or personal level.  The blog evolved to include many different aspect of my everyday life some more random then others - some more relevant then others - some probably more interesting then others but to my surprise people still read it - quite a few people in fact!!!

For me its like keeping a public journal and the fact that it is public makes me consider the content a bit more, and, while I do like the fact that people are reading my mindful mumblings I also don't really mind if no-one ever read it as now its just a passing part of my days and a record of what I've been up to and its become quite a habit that I enjoy.

Its a brilliant way to share adventures and life and in particular my travel experiences with friends without having write loads of emails or postcards a modern day on going round robin!!

When you write it all down and then flick back it makes you realise just how busy you have been and how much has been achieved over the last two years.  I've fulfilled a life long ambition to do a textiles course and graduated with a foundation degree - which incidentally I intend to take to honours level in the next couple of years - I watched my lovely grand children grow, we've run several successful star weekends and I've drawn a tremendous amount and sewn even more.  New sewing machine, new overlocker, recovered the sofa and driven 1000's of mile around southern Island and the British Isle and even more 1000's around Canada and the the North American Rockies.   In-between all this I have read dozens of books - completely hooked on scandi noir.. explored the beautiful local countryside and castles, been social with friends and family, had some ups and downs but generally its been a good two years.  How I ever found time to have a full time job I've no idea!!

Change is round the corner, things rarely stand still - more of that on my next blog - in the mean time I have been busy as usual and this week I have fashioned a pouffe - completely out of scrap materials I already had.  It has a foam seat propped on tightly rolled corrugated cardboard and finally padded with old cushion stuffing all sewn into an inner liner - it doesn't look much just now but it is strong and sturdy and will be wonderful when I cover it next week.  (hint of cover in the back ground).  I've been on the look out for the right kind of footstool pouffe for ages - it needed to be the right shape and sturdy enough to double as small table with a tray on.  Nothing ever turned up quite right so rather then settle for second best I decided to make my own - I think its going to be rather grand when I've finished it - probably too grand to put feet on!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi