Skip to main content

the next brief beckons... colours and castles...

Back into the fray at college.... I've emptied my work bay and have started to collect inspiration for my new brief.  This time is based on interiors, a fairly loose brief left very much up to ourselves to come up with a concept and then a design which will translate into an interior kinda space...
 I'm very keen to - surprise surprise - ramp up the colour action... research indicates this and next years colours are vibrant hues bright gaudy yellows and greens with splashes of purple and pink - well they are in my house at least - Dr Fred doesn't know this yet but when its a done deal he will learn to live with it....  Hes working away quite a bit in the coming weeks...

So keen to stay with vibrant colours I decided the best place to start was with a mood board.  I've been following some seriously funky decorators and interior designers on Instagram so I started there for  colour inspiration.  When I had picked my favourite colour schemes I wrote to the insta posters and asked for permission to use them on my mood board if credited. With only one exception they agreed and in fact that one person was happy as along as I didn't post the mood board publicly so I decided not to use those images as I want to be able to share the work on this blog and on instagram - so thank you to @theflamingoandthefox, @martine_munroe and @paola_roder - amazing colour inspiration - and please check out @faithkalson, whose pictures I haven't used but her colours are amazing also.



I have so many ideas, floral stuff, boats and beach stuff, more skulls, decay and regrowth, what lies beneath ... some less clear, but equally interesting, concepts that require too much thought so.... recognizing we only have a limited time scale and I'm just wasting it I finally decided to use my frequent castle trips for inspiration.   I looked at my collection of photos and found lots of Bamburgh, Sadel Castle where we stayed last year, this years wee tower house castle The Old Place of Monreith, Bolton Castle, Warkworth castle by moonlight, Barnard Castle in its glorious ruins state and best of all Chillingham Castle.

We visited Chillingham last year and I was fascinated by the amazing eclectic collection of the weird and wonderful paraphernalia on display.    the place was crammed - a real slamititnRubystarrs experience and I took loads of photographs which I am starting to work off as the castle doesnt open until April so I cant make a field visit😒.  I do have a large number of pictures though and I will be drawing inspiration from other castles as well!
5 minute sketches of Old Place of Monreith

My plan is to use the drawings and shapes that hopefully emerge and make some fancy designs yo integrate into sumptuous bespoke cushions - I'm also going to try and be a little more abstract them I usually am as mostly my work is very pictorial- this may well prove to be my style but I feel being at college is my opportunity to experiment  and try different things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi