Skip to main content

In the Mood

My goodness this going back to college malarkey is time consuming, great fun, slightly over whelming, informative, and I'm busy busy busy....

Its taking some time to find my feet, well to find just about everything actually - this morning I was heading out early as I had some work to catch up on but first I couldn't find my college pass- essential for getting around the building photocopying, computer access - so I couldn't leave home without it - then I noticed I had my top on inside out.. and while righting this and finding pass I lost my car keys!!! this about sums up my life at the moment, its going a bit faster then I am at the moment!!!

However once I got to school - I settled down and had a very productive day which finally set me on a path for my creative module and started a vague clarification about my concept.  I always find this bit of the brief difficult so many ideas bouncing around my head and they need sorting and filing into good, bad, and plain ugly.

Our brief is work be based on the Bowes Museums Collections.  Last week we all trouped off to the Museum and spent the day looking at the very varied collection of mainly 18 century ceramics, textiles, paintings and the rest...  I took quite a lot of photographs and spent the rest of the week thinking about what they suggested to me.

My concept is loosely based on marrying traditional designs and processes with the digital world we live in.  I'm using the quite eclectic collection of ceramic animals to illustrate the point.  Animals are represented across quite a lot of the Bowes Museum and some are quite fanciful - these are the ones I am drawn to as they already complement some of the imagery I have collected around mythical creatures over the summer.

The animals, both ornamental and illustrative, that I am using are very traditional, classic antique designs but I have used the power of digital to manipulate the images and apply a contemporary look and feel to them.  I have researched how such images are used in the fashion industry in a interesting lively and quite funky way... Gucci 2017 collection, putting all these images together started to gel my idea more cohesively and the colour palate also started to emerge.  I was originally looking at soft greens and lively pinks but true to RubyStarrs colour management they soon morphed into reds, teals and oranges... What a surprise!!!


Today I made a mood board which really helps to sort the chaff from the wheat, confirmed my colour choices and set me on my way to start drawing and designing.

I had sourced a lovely gilt baroque picture frame (free) to put my mood board in but in the end it didn't need it - it would have drawn attention away so I'll find another use for it at a later date.

I brushed up on my Photoshop skills, not easy after a year off - but there were a lot of people in class that could help and I only had to make one panicked phone call to my son!!!

So - all in all a productive, industrious day and most importantly I feel on the right path for this first creative module.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi