Skip to main content

A Call out for Libraries


Libraries are our friends.  –Neil Gaiman

I've touched on this subject before - but its dear to my heart and I worry we might lose such precious resources so I'm going to bat on about it again!!

Its about 57 years since I joined my first library.. I was the youngest person to become a member of our local branch and I had to satisfy two major conditions.. the first, being fairly obvious was that I could read, and the second, was that I was big enough and strong enough to open the heavy wooden swing doors.  The library itself was in a building at the end of our road and I used to think I was allowed to go on my own not realizing I was followed at a discreet distance on all my early visits. 

It was a lovely library set on two floors and. Completely paneled and furnished by the mouse man - Robert Thompson, beautiful heavy wooden furniture and panels with little mice carved in a odd intervals.  At the tender age of 4 I was totally convinced  that the mice ran about at night .... it was a place that fed my imagination for many years and fueled my love of books and reading.

I discovered many favourite books and characters in those formative years, from moomins to babar the elephant ... plus all the usual favourites, Enid Blyton, Arthur Ransome, Alan Garner, Dr Seuss and many many more the library allowed me unlimited access to a never ending education and imagination in an all absorbing matter of  reading material.

I remember when I suddenly realised I was reading adults books and had largely left children's stories behind. I'd dallied with Jean Plaidy but finally dived in following my mums taste good old Agatha Christie.. the first one I read was Hickory Dickory Dock, I was 11 years old and felt very grown up!
I was and still am a voracious reader.. I've been a serious book snob in the past but really believe that its better to read anything, even a red top,  then read nothing.  I'll sit and scrutinise the cornflake packet if there's nothing else to read and it was was one of the few rules in our house that there was no reading at the dinner/breakfast table so sometimes the packets just had to make do.

I ransack public libraries, and find them full of sunk treasure.

–Virginia Woolf
My love of libraries has followed my through life despite a very unpleasant school librarian who did her best to discourage the riffraff from using her (once again beautifully furnished and paneled by the mouse man) school library...

I always join the library where ever I live and make extensive use of them when travelling.  Its resource people under value. I love the fact anyone can go to the library and test read unknown authors at no financial risk .. you can order books you want to try for me this is a godsend... I cant afford to fund my reading habit, and I don't have to find storage space... a constant problem now we have downsized houses.   We still are planning floor to ceiling built in book shelves as nearly all our books are still in storage.

A good library will never be too neat, or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it, taking books off the shelves and staying up late reading them.  –Lemony Snicket

As one does, I was lying in bed trying to work out how many books I had read over my lifetime - its surprisingly few given whats out there... working on averaging 3 books a week since aged ten I'm rounding it up to fifty years of solid immersion into words mainly on paper but more recently also using electronic book readers I have probably read 7500 plus books.... a mere drop in the ocean...

According to the interweb the average person reads 12 per year - I cant imagine making a book last a month ha ha ...

Anyway there is a point to this rambling... use it or lose it!!!! Everyone should join the library - we need to show they are a community necessity and remember they do more then provide books, there are many different services available and for some people they are a lifeline.  GO JOIN YOUR LIBRARY!!!!!

People can lose their lives in libraries. They ought to be warned.

–Saul Bellow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi