Skip to main content

Skills for Making - it up as you go along

pink with silver foil and beaded detail on cotton
Its my hand day for the Skills for Making module next week, and as usual I am just starting to feel the love for it and ideas are starting to emerge for making it work!!! Its been quite a 'problem solving' module with all sorts of different challenges throw up. To start with I didn't quite get the drawing selection right - but nothing ventured nothing gained - this time it didn't quite work - I loved all the drawings independently but  not so much together.  But.... having selected them I persevered and then found the scanner wouldn't scan them 'squarely' for want of a term - next time I'll just use photoshop from the outset but I really wanted this to be a more 'organic ' experience ( not that I'm scared of photoshop haha ). This little hiccup meant the layers didn't sit properly and while it was frustrating it did give me the chance to experiment with different placings and  I did learn quite a bit about skewing and stretching the drawings.

Then the fabric fiasco - I had picked summer colours and its winter!!! No suitable fabrics to be sourced at any price - I went to all the usual places and then less usual cheap shops to look for cheap garments to chop up and then did the rounds of the charity shops but the fabric I imagined I wanted was just plain elusive!!!  So the original colour palate kinda went out of the window - but I'll use it another time - I settled on using black fabric.  Hard on the eyes to work with, but I wanted to use natural fibres so found some nice cotton velvet and plain black cotton and printed on them.

silver foil on black cotton velvet with beaded detail
My main aim with this module was to upskill my screen printing techniques and this was definitely achieved and I had great fun learning how to set screens up, mixing paints and printing.

After quite a bit of faffing about masking off overbusy bits of the screen positives and lots of dummy runs on calico I got some nice clean prints and some good textures and while I was originally stuck for how to move on and into embellishment as I stated, the ideas, with less then a week to go are starting to flow.....

As well as embroidery as featured in earlier postings beading detail is playing a large part - as are foiling papers, while I haven't really achieved the gaudy  South Asian look I was originally looking for, I have managed some vibrant colourful pieces.  (Because the pieces are foiled they haven't photographed that well on my kitchen table),  Its been an exercise in going with the flow and seeing how different strategies work out under certain time constraints.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi