Skip to main content

Textile Collage

Last Sunday I visited the Hearth Open Studio day and was, if honest, a little over whelmed by the superb standard of work  but also totally inspired.  The half a dozen or so studios house a collection of diverse artists working with ceramics, watercolours, wool, felting, there were some lovely clocks and fun little knitted and driftwood dolls - it was all pretty wonderful but the place that really appealed to me was the studio and work of Mandy Pattullo - a local textile artist who does the most beautiful patchwork, vintage fabric creations using old recycled fabrics, hand embroidery, lace, and is very experimental and creative at putting together the most unlikely materials to produce beautiful art.

I first came across Mandy Pattullo when I moved to Northumberland, a practising textile artist - I was looking for classes and discovered she runs textile workshops.  Unfortunately  I've never managed to get on one as they are always either full or don't fit into my travelling lifestyle.  Now I'm an impoverished art student I don't have so much cash to flash on workshop treats and hoped I would get similar from college, but the visit to Mandy'd studio yesterday has made me determined to treat myself to one of her workshops.


What sealed this deal was I bought her book, Its fab!  Cover to cover colour, ideas, inspiration - absolutely perfect for me, so much motivation -  and practically every last bit of content speaks to me personally in so many ways, recycling fabrics, quilts, vintage materials, collage....  Mandy talks about those bits of fabric stashed and make the excellent case for using it rather then just looking at it and saving it for that - never happening special project... I have fabric from when I was sixteen which I can't quite bring myself to use!!!

Mandy's rationale is all fabric has a story and needs to be bought to life either to tell that story or a completely new one.  She lovingly explains how to revitalise old tired fabrics and charity shop finds and give them new life as a new art art form.  Her signature style of layering different kinds of fabrics, adding embroidery and building up beautiful collages is really very splendid and very effective.  There's not only inspiration within these pages but some good advice on sourcing, cleaning and storing all those precious materials.

I could seriously wax on and on about this book but my suggestion is - if you like nice books, textiles, art, vintage fabrics, quilts, or any combination of those things - buy the book!

mandys website   www.mandypattullo.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Total Eclipse Spain 2026

Eclipse day!!!!  Most of the photos on here were taken by friends...my phone died...  I dont use names on here but you know who you are thank you....  This will be Dr Freds 8th eclipse and my 6th... I have 100% clear viewing and its continued that way. Our friends have this amazing house tucked away on the side of a hill - fortuitously right on the centre line of the 2026 eclipse.  And... to make it even better they have a roof terrace which gave us an almost perfect elevation to see the total eclipse in all its glory.   Dr Fred wasnt sure at first - he worried that as totality was so close to sunset we might not be high enough before the sun disappeared under the ridge.  So, the evenings leading up to the night of the actual event, required a lot of balancing on the roof with spirit levels at various degrees and exact timings for exact positioning of the sun and considerable maths.... yes it was complicated but it p...

Autumnal Garden Days

I love these (rare) warm sunny late summer days and there is all sorts of lovely things  going on in my garden... I counted 12 red admiral butterflies whizzing around the over grown ivy which I had been about to hack down but then left until the flutterbies have finished with it... The late blooms add a dash of colour and the daisy strewn lawn is littered with autumnal leaves, debris from my brief half an hour of slash and burn and the stone wall is covered in glorious soft moss all shiny and tactile with a few late nasturtiums loitering. I've hacked out the brambles for this year, sadly I missed the fruit as we were away, ditto the strawberries, we never seem to get the fruit before the birds so I've made space and moved the plants that were getting swamped and so not performing to their potential - hopefully next year they will literally blossom now they have light and room to flourish.

Alesund

Our final destination stop was Alesund. This is a very pretty town in southern Norway built on a peninsula. All the houses are painted pretty colours and a lot of the architecture is all very Art Nouveau based. This is because the town itself was completely burnt to the ground In 1904 by a fire for which they never found the original cause. The whole town had to be rebuilt and this became a huge National Effort and a lot of prominent and up and coming architects flocked to the town to stick there 20 pence in. Consequently the town is very heavily Art Nouveau which was very fashionable at the time. There is this wonderful Museum just off the harbour which is a very beautiful Art Nouveau house. It has amazing panelling, doors, wallpaper, and it's all furnished with beautiful art Nouveau Furniture. It also house a collection of of enameled Art Nouveau Trinkets,boxes, spoons, jewellery, very very beautiful.   There is an interesting collection of old books and paintings a...