Skip to main content

Living a life more fully

I was looking on Pinterest for some secondary research and as I'm also interested in refining my presentation skills I got diverted to looking at different ways of producing sketch books and in particular this seemingly new phenomenon 'smash' books ha ha - do look them up -

Surprisingly (not) its an American idea - it being that traditional 'scrapbooking' has had its day - scrap booking uses a concept completely alien to me -  a neat and tidy application to form a nice book whereas 'smash booking' is just that - SMASH it in - any thing you like, anywhere you feel works, jumble it up, stick it, in be spontaneous - be untidy - rebel - some of them look pretty good - but what amazes me is the fact that there is now a whole industry around this 'craft' you can buy smash glue, smash paper, smash decals smash glitter - possibly not as spontaneous as first made out!!! Second amazement is why didn't I think of marketing this.... I've been living my life, writing my journals like this for nearly 50 years... collecting, cutting, gluing, posting, hanging, filling, -  journals, books, rooms, vans, gardens you name it if I've been near it it will be full....

So now I'm considering marketing Smash living - forget Shabby Chic- that's so yesterday instead go for the 'Smash Ruby Starrs' look!  Get as many colours, objects that don't match, preloved items, beloved home made projects, as many different fabrics, textures as you can and throw them into a room and live in it for 6 months - you will discover that items will slowly but surely, naturally find there own space to live in - they will mate and match alongside completely different species and items and a beautiful eclectic definitely unique look will evolve - don't be put off by people thinking its a mess - take on board those comment which are of a positive nature like "my goodness haven't you got a lot of stuff"  or " this is certainly a different house you obviously enjoy colour".   When your visitors say "this is soooo you but I couldn't live like this" be proud and know they are secretly envious, and if you think its worth pursuing consider introducing them to my partner who is extremely tidy, previous to meeting me lived for 55 years clutter free BUT... has truly learnt to adapt to a completely different life with me in a new environment containing things he never even thought of- yes he's a lot more anxious then he used to be but hes still surviving....

Of course I do have a tendancy to overdo things sometimes - this was my kitchen 20 years ago (pre Dr Fred) even I find it difficult to imagine how I functioned in this chaos ha ha...



just a note... I have really cleaned my act up - In my more mature years I have toned down my junk collecting- it is not longer mandatory to go skip dipping every time I see a skip . I managed with support to dispose of the 8 boxes of broken crockery I had spent 20 years accumulating for the 'mosiac' project - it was will never happen - (still grieving but getting there) I don't have the space to collect as much and I am training myself to be more choosy - apart from fabric and books - they don't count...(and wool and ribbons and papery things.....)

So - get out there collect fill it up and 'smash' it in!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi