Skip to main content

Its a family business

It been three very productive days... Finally handed my CAD stuff in - at last - not my finest moment but I'm still quite pleased with what I've done considering how difficult I found it to get going.  I've spent the rest of the time working up my Dr Martens brief and while its gone slightly awry and its a different interpretation of the brief I'm liking it very much - at the moment its looking a bit like wallpaper but there's work to be done yet



I've also got lots of drawing done and have started some interesting constructive work around lobster pots and fishing nets and some knitted chains...


its all very time consuming and the day has slipped away again - suddenly its dark!!

Following on from my last blog - as well as being surprised when I started to reflect I took the opportunity over the weekend to look back at the work I have done since September.  I wanted a
recap and to look at how I had progressed.  When I first started this course I was quite overwhelmed by some of the example sketch books we looked at and what the expectations might be.

I was down in my home town Leeds shortly after we started compiling our first assignment and I mentioned this to my son who is an ex art student.  I used to be so jealous of him going to art school every day... now the tables are turned - but he is a source of inspiration and encouragement to me as all good sons should be to their student mothers!  I told him I was having a wobble over the work and my abilities and he was really supportive.   Obviously I've dragged him up right as he was very encouraging and helpful  -Talk about role reversal, bless his little smelly cotton socks!

I was admiring some drawings he was doing - not my style, but really nicely executed, and I was lamenting my lack of skill and he brought out his early sketch books.  Now (as every mother does) I think my boy is very talented and even his early sketch books were fairly amazing but what was important was that as he went through a number of books from the following years I could see the progression and how he had improved and how his ideas flowed and fed into the different projects that he did.  It was a fascinating documentation of his art student journey.

This is what I felt when I looked over my past few months work.  Its not a massive progression but my sketch books do show a change as they evolve - there is a confidence emerging which speaks about me and the way I present things.  I like presentation and think its important and I made it part of my learning action plan to research presentation techniques... which led to me discovering 'smash' books and also lots of other interesting ways to compile and document research and ideas.  I've also enjoyed looking at other peoples blogs and how they are written and presented, I think so me of the research has paid off evidenced by the way I feel my work has progressed.

I can see how my early works have influenced my current work, some of the early samples and experiments have added ideas to what I am trying to produce.  Macrame fishing nets, knitted chains, lots of collage work... I have determined that my talents lie with the constructed  side of development, the printing is fun and will definitely be a base for future work and I feel quite pleased with what I have achieved using Photo shop - I enjoyed  thinking about application of designs particularly regarding interiors.

macrame in action!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi