Skip to main content

Pottery Throw Away..... (never)

I sort of lost my creative mojo, it just waned for quite a long time  - but it didn't stop me going to pottery. for almost a year.. I've currently stopped classes for now but I will return once I'm back from the big adventure and potentially solvent again!  

I will never be a potter - this much is true - I really enjoy the process but it takes a lot of practice and patience neither of which I have...  - I love Loveheart Workshops where I have been taught the basics of producing ceramics - first I made a mug (which someone asked if my 11year old grand daughter had made!!) then a rather messy coil pot - a slab jug - all these could gladly go to the charity shop except - of course I MADE THEM - so they are reprieved and will languish somewhere in out general mish mish of eclectic junk - I made a storage jar and this I quite like. 

a mug in the making

While I enjoy the fashioning of the clay - I like the tactile nature of building something - and I love how something so dull and earthy i.e. clay can be transformed into (by some people - even me!!) something beautiful and/or functional - what really interests me are the glazes -  they intrigue me - but I know they would take a life time to understand and experiment with and I do not have that time (or money) so I played as much as I can but wish I had not been lazy and that I had recorded my progress like we were taught to at college!!! then I would know how to repeat my few triumphs and avoid the disasters.  

practicing glazes on tiles which fill a corner in my 'grown up' kitchen

The fascinating thing about ceramic glazes is that only time and practise will teach you how each individual pot works and what each colour will do with different clays different mixes - different firings - there are infinite combinations and my lack of experience means I have no idea what might happen!!!  The actual finished glazed look just isn't evident when you first apply the colour and I find this difficult!!!  Yes in one way its exciting but also once fired that is it - finito! The end result is how it is and nothing can change.  I find this frustrating as I just don't know enough to have realistic expectations.  and yes I can be disappointed as there is considerable effort goes into making a pot - I'm not a natural and its time consuming so its hard when the glaze doesn't work and the colours aren't right and my creative ego is dinted!!!

very chunky hand thrown bowls They 
look so much better here than in real life but i still love them

Slowly over time and with practice I improved, and some of my pottery is better than others - my attempts at throwing on the wheel were fairly hilarious - once ending up with more in my hair than on the wheel - but I persevered and made 6 'matching' 😂😂😂 small peanut dishes.  They are clunky - thick - misshaped but nicely painted and glazed and I love them and bring them out every opportunity I have.  My mugs have become our standard breakfast mugs and my piece de resistance is the foxy toast rack I made to match the butter dish I actually bought in Anthropology (when I was rich and frivolous).

foxy toast

I had a bad shoulder for some time and this meant working the clay wasn't always easy so I concentrated on painting a set of dinner plates - the plates wee premade and bisque fired and I just decorated them in true slamitinrubystarrs style - completely un matching and unique!!

hand painted plates

I miss this class a lot and will definitely return, its such good therapy and a reminder that all art is subjective and creative at so many levels.  The teacher is really good and encouraging - and there is no level of competitiveness which you sometimes find in creative environments - just a friendly atmosphere with interesting banter and chance to make glorious tactile messes and sometimes - mostly - depending on point of view, you end up with an object of great beauty! If my attempts have inspired you check out Loveheart Workshops https://www.facebook.com/loveheartworkshops/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi