Skip to main content

Pandemic Reflections

So today is a day of reflection regarding this last year of surviving a pandemic.... I'd like to be upbeat and positive about this and in fact for a lot of the last year our lives have been mostly that - we are fortunate - nice space, big garden, no money or employment worries, plenty to keep busy with and even little bit of family interaction.... However when I really reflect I mainly feel desperately sad for all that has been lost in in this last year.  Many people have lost loved ones and many more are suffering long lasting devastating effects of surviving the last year,  unemployment mental health issues - domestic violence, deep loneliness -  Retail and hospitality have suffered massively, travel, especially abroad has become a distant memory and the NHS is on its knees but still managing to deliver an amazing service and that is no thanks to a government who have proved themselves greedy beyond belief.  We will never know if a different group of individuals would have dealt with this unprecedented event any better, but I would like to think that there might have been slightly better organisation, less money wasted and more empathy shown with a more caring left wing party.  

Lock down rules have been hard - both to understand and to follow - I have some sympathy with those people who think lock down was/is unnecessary, basically I think everyone is really really fed up and it feels like our 'freedom' has really been curtailed - I can almost understand those who are anti vaxxers - again freedom of choice needs to be recognised and so I refuse to get into debates about what is and isn't right - true - false - necessary - pointless etc... I'll do what I think is right for me and try and respect what others feel is right for them.  


little bit of summer joy

Its been an interesting year in many good ways though.. people have discovered gardening and nature - staycationing has become more popular, which means a pretty fab effect on general carbon footprints - although this has caused quite a lot of litter and despoiling of beauty spots hopefully it has also increased awareness of these issues - and maybe more people will be aware of the maxim 'leave no trace' - yes I know I am the eternal optimist... it seems possible that the general public are more aware of climate change and what we can do - I'm hoping some communities have embraced each other to support those in need and new friends will have been made.  I expect a lot of people will have improved internet skills and hopefully this will benefit them in the long run... maybe some people will have realised there is more to life than shopping malls - Barnard Castle has become famous for eye tests - what a farce that episode was - but probably less damaging than the millions of tax payers monies squandered on Tory crony contracts for defective PPE and unworkable track and trace schemes... Today we should reflect that we have upwards of 126,000 deaths after being told 20,000 would be catastrophic - its hard to remain positive.. 


a bit of pointless lockdown timer filler.....

For me personally - I have enjoyed our garden, I have loved exploring our local countryside, I have read and enormous amount of rubbish (and some educational almost interesting) books - I have learnt a lot about hedgehogs.. Once I finished my Textile degree my creativity dropped off considerably - I think I had used up all my momentum getting through that final push but I have still faffed about - almost completely knit up my 30 year old stash of wool and of course we have transformed our house into a home with colour and texture - paintings and fabrics......  I have missed my family and friends but have Dr Fred to keep me entertained (although that's beginning to wane a bit)- we missed our planned South America trip which was a blow but remain thankful to be well and healthy to go some other time.  We've had dress up family quizzes on Zoom which have been fun and I have tried lots of new recipes, plus I know which crisps I like best....

drag queen quiz night

I'm hoping my hair has improved quite a bit as its had the longest time inbetween colouring since I was 14 years old... I've found quite a lot of new music and watched some serious rubbish on TV - we still haven't slipped into day time TV - thank goodness for spotify 😅 although I don't know how many cover versions of 'After the Gold Rush' I can stomach!!!  We have had it easy  - I have family working on the front line, I have friends who have lost family, I sense a massive loneliness in lots of people 

I wouldn't wish the last year to be repeated - the negatives far out way the positives - I hope it has shown up the government for the greedy lying self satisfying b******s they are - I've signed every petition for a fair deal for the NHS I can and written to my local MP (several times) - will anyone listen!   We massively celebrate amazing ventures like Captain Tom who raised an incredible amount of money but I am slightly ashamed to be part of a society that relies on 100 year old pensioners raising money to support our healthcare system - really its shocking....

As a little aside - talking of crap - there is an apparent increase in the amount of dog waste left lying about - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/30/excremental-growth-uk-sniffs-a-pandemic-puppy-poo-problem?fbclid=IwAR1RQEDm9tTTQtNU1kcTgQy7edWcUUSd6iF1DlV_-cPl6q4Q4u8YwxZXwK0

However you look at it - while many people have found a resilience they had never thought possible - many grieve for lost loved ones or lost lifestyles - so on this day of reflection all I can say is hang in there - stay safe - be kind....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi