Skip to main content

WELCOME 2021

 welcome 2021 - HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE - In spite covid numbers soaring - government still faffing... no sign of friendly hugs even through there is a vaccine on the horizon - but which horizon - still I am trying to remain optimistic - getting up every day and mostly getting dressed... however very little other news....

We had a very good Christmas - missing number one son and his partner but my girls were able to join us as they are our bubble - we were nervous as there is the school factor and while Doris goes to great pains to make me understand young people are less likely to be at risk of infection in my limited world they can still be carriers - teachers and other staff are present and all these lovely (potentially non infectious) infants have families that are external to school bubbles etc so the girls self isolated for 6 days and then we took the risk - a week on we all remain well so I'm hoping we are all okay... It would be a shame to have given up so much - come this far and then succumb to the virus!!!  Christmas was the usual toy shop explosion - invaded by Barbies and pink plastic tat - lots of anime cosplay stuff and enough wrapping paper to light the fire for weeks.... Christmas food, drink, games and films.  I feel very lucky to have managed such a good Christmas when I know others were alone and missing family.

The mess was unbelievable and I think caused great stress for Dr Fred but he has recovered so it was all worthwhile... we have been in this house a year tomorrow and its already getting smaller- but having more space made such a difference to having extra visitors and all the accumulative tat that comes with christmas.... most of it went home with the recipients but still we seem to collect more and more stuff and we haven't even got round to emptying the 'eaves' and the stuff we have in storage!!!!!

Anyway less of the boring things I have other boring things instead- 

We managed to spot the planetary conjunction - just - constant cloudy, snowy skies but we finally got a wee break and spotted it and our long legs was almost impressed but shes too cool to show it .  

We painted our chimney breast pink... Having done the wall fluorescent pink in the summer - I wasn't entirely happy with the shade but now dressed down with bright orange I have come to quite like it and felt that the white wall didn't work so its pink now with a stunning black fireplace.  Every now and again I get overly influenced by clean white (uncluttered) looking things on Insta or Facebook posts and I am (mis)led into buying white things - plates, bedding, towels(horror), kind of liking the look but not fully realising that its just not me..... this is how we came to paint some of our bedroom walls white - I'm pretty sure I've never used white emulsion by choice before... so I come to my senses - the new curtains helped and reverted to type.. the fire surround now has pink inserts as well as the tiles were completely cream crackered and I haven't decided on an alternative yet...


I am mid covering a little chair I picked up free on Facebook - I am completely committed to not buying any fabric for 6 months - to be fair other than posh(er) curtain fabric I haven't bought any fabric for over a year... I am trying to destash quite seriously so I have used some old curtain ends someone passed onto me years ago - there was JUST enough with some creative cutting and I'm thinking to put some applique on tho lift the rather neutral blue however there is no doubting it is an improvement on the pale yellow and beige flower original upholstery and it sits nicely in the window as a more comfortable alternative to a dining chair if we ever have more visitors...

The stash is slowly decreasing but I suspect only I would notice - still it is diminishing - 😂😂 and its almost tidy - well this bit is anyway.


Finally I have to gloat about the most amazing raised meat pie I made using a Gordon Ramsey recipe it was quite simple and very yummy - a little heavy on the pastry but for a first time it was very impressive and got scoffed quite quickly!
 

so that's my no news for this blog - no hedgehogs - no adventures - too much snow-  just quiet (ha ha ) family time hiding from viruses.... stay safe.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi