Skip to main content

I had a Little Beetle

I hope the new look blog is behaving itself ... please let me know if its not!  I think you can now subscribe to get email reminders again - I seemed to have lost that button before and hopefully it doesn't jump about as you read it!

I've been colouring in.  This beetle is from a photograph I took in the Natural history Museum.  I used the photograph, cropped it, enlarged it and then using Photoshop I digitized it until it was just the bare 'bones' leaving me a lovely image to play with.
.

Its been a quieter week at college - I have been consolidating my work and reflecting on what I have got and where to go next.   I have complied a large file of resource inspiration, some of it primary photographs, collated artists that inspire me and some market research about my potential target audience.  this file is a work in progress as I add to it all the time as inspiration hits me but a lot of it is made up of photographs from my travels and gallery visits over the last two years.

I went to an external life drawing class held in the art gallery in Hartlepool.  it was an interesting experience and I was able to build on the lessons I had had in college.  The model presented some quite difficult poses, the linear standing and lying ones were not so bad but the crouched and squatting ones were really hard to capture!

I also did some mono printing, using black ink on paper.  I seem this time, to have got the ink right, not too overdone and I was experimenting with texture, rolling, flattening and pressing items on the paper as well as drawing.  Very mixed results but some good texture and mark making.   I foiled some them but my foil glue was a bit past it some it was a bit hit and miss.


I got a tad bored with the monochrome work I've been doing - working with printing ink  and charcoal is very pleasant but I have felt in need of a colour fix.  Hence the beetle!

I coloured a photocopy of a jackdaw I had drawn from one of my own photographs in, using promarker pens.  I then cut it up into four pieces and included a feather for a fifth piece.   Then using one of the textured mono print pieces which I had made by pressing a basket on the paper and then added some foil. I cut it up into 8 similar sized rectangles and used them as a base to collage the jackdaw on.  These eight piece were then arranged a mismatched grid formation in my ever growing sketch book to make a king jackdaw jigsaw... I felt the jackdaw was very regal so I added a crown!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi