Skip to main content

Drawing with the Sewing Machine

This week I've been drawing with the sewing machine... I use a darning / embroidery foot and this gives me quite a bit of freedom to move the fabric where I want it to go.  Sometimes if i'm sewing material I use an embroidery hoop but often I find these get in the way and can be restrictive.

Last week I tried my hand at making paper from scraps... as pictured on a previous posting my first attempt ended up with a kinda grey slab... but as it dried - which took about a week!! it slowly lightened and then  left it in the sun where it bleached further... it was rather thick - actually I've seen thinner cardboard but it has a very rustic feel and more importantly its the first paper I have made so I had to find a use for it...

After quite a bit of consideration I decided its lovely uneven texture and rough edges really lent itself to stone walls - I'm very drawn to stone walls, often beautifully constructed using no cement just clever placement of available stone they can be a source of great inspiration.  the walls are sometimes built using local patterns or ancient designs and as they age they bed in and develop interesting lichen and plants growing in them.  I love the fact that all the stones are all different shapes and colours  and so is my first attempt at hand made paper - so under the sewing machine it went.

I just used plain black thread in both the bobbin and the on the spool and basically just used a picture I had drawn in Ireland and 'drew' it on the sewing machine.  As the paper was quite thick and probably a little bit soft it made quite a mess and I had to keep stopping to blow the excess bits away but it was a simple but effective end product.


I have had a few more tries at developing my skills as a paper maker and slowly the paper is getting thinner and prettier - I made some using some red tissue paper so it came out pink, still quite thick but a better overall texture.  The last sheets I made I managed to get quite thin and I used only white paper and added some cut multi coloured cotton threads to it - I've also found an old sheet of glass to dry it on which mean my dining table can be used for eating off and also I can move the paper around to dry it in the sun we have finally got!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi