Skip to main content

This is me...

I’m a bit like a traditional fair isle jumper, complicated, colourful, multi stranded, intricately woven, warm, fun and often quite practical!  These are my best qualities – I’m also massively untidy, like things done my way, hog the bed clothes and I rarely put the milk back in the fridge – I believe these traits to be the sign of a creative mind, but above all I’m adventurous and curious and like new challenges and meeting new people.


fairisle knit


I share my life with my partner Fred and my children, grandchildren and many friends.  Every day is a day off and I read, garden, cook, wander aimlessly, look at the stars and of course, draw, paint, sew and make lots of different things for myself and friends.  The most important bit of kit in my house is my sewing machine - although since starting my course I have rediscovered the joys of hand sewing, weaving and knitting.

continuous line drawing - my sewing machine


I love to travel – while the UK has much to offer I am drawn to other cultures other sights and most often sunshine…. I am lucky I have been to many places on this amazing planet which have been an inspiration to my creative nature.

city of rocks new mexico


I spent 30 years having a very enjoyable career but always doing, making designing things out of fabric and bits and bobs and have always harboured a keen desire to be an art student and become a designer and an artist.  So the when opportunity for early retirement from the rat race presented itself I took it and now I’m a full time art student studying textiles in Newcastle…

hard at work...

I’m very lucky to live in the second most beautiful part of the planet being from Yorkshire originally I know where is best - but here in Northumberland I can see and hear the sea and most days get to walk on the beach.  I live in a small cottage which gets smaller by the week – it is bursting at the seams with all the things we consider essential in life, books, music, art, fabric, telescopes, colour, and much more.  My car is the outhouse where the wellies and coats live, and our beloved campervan is an extension – a home from home – one we often sleep in when guest come to stay.


I wish this was all ours but only the end bit is - and the campervan is away for a refurb....


I’m kind of keen on recycling… but really I like to re purpose things, I like quirky one off objects, hand made and reinventing and transforming everyday things into something else useful or beautiful (nod to Oscar Wilde).

reading lamp

Returning to learn as a mature student is quite challenging, its harder than I thought it would be but more enjoyable than I could have imagined.  So much to discover and learn and hopefully this blog will document some of that experience and fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RubyStarrs in Paris...

Finally we have made it to Paris.  It was a bit of a long travel day - we decided to come by train so we could experience the full glory of British Rail or whatever it's called now which actually delivered perfectly on time... and then the Eurostar which was incredibly disappointing!  All that beautiful St. Pancreas Station and the Eurostar is sited in the dungeon... overcrowded, dark, lousy facilitated space...  and then the train was an hour late it felt like a long time before we got any fresh air -  but eventually we wound up in gay Paree...  We navigated the metro and found our airbnb gaff.  A mere 70 steps to the fourth floor on a rather lovely winding wooden staircase to a very nice roof top flat which is comfortable and gives a view across a lovely Courtyard with some obviously much posher flats.  It's located really centrally about two minutes away from the Opera Garnier so a very good location for getting everywhere...

Funchal

So after three days at sea we finally hit Funchal in Madeira.  An escape from the ship, and I have to say it was very pleasant indeed.  First of all the weather is really splendid.  Especially when you know that everybody else in the UK is suffering grim storms and vile winds..  Over here it is between 22 and 25 degrees is really quite warm.    Funchal is a pretty city. It's built on a hill it with lots of lovely white houses with stunning red roofs.   In order to get the best of it we walked along the sea front until we got to the cable car and we took it up the hill.  It was a really good ride much longer than we imagined and it's quite weird because it goes right through the town -  completely over everybody's house...  So not only do you get a lovely vista of the bay but you can view the beautiful rooftops and get to look in everybody's gardens and to look at their picnic sets.. clean washing nice plants... scratty backyards.... We got off th

Another Day in Norway where our Trusty Traveller finds Tromsø, Trolls and Totally misses Aurora....

Tromsø - the most northern city on the planet...  Its quite a pretty little town with lots of wood fronted shops, but of course like everywhere like this, it is just one big tourist hive and every shop is selling 'indigenous' gifts- didthe Sami make aurora themed mugs and fridge magnets?  Nearest I'll get a polar bear (i hope) Although I have to say I did like the big stuffed polar bear and black bear and I am presuming that these are either not real (unlikely) or culled as they sometimes have to be.    But most of the stuff is just northern lights  tat or Troll tat.    Peer Gynt.. famous worldover To be fair the best bit of Tromsø for me was the Troll Museum!  We went to the art gallery which was quite interesting (see instagram account) but not astounding, but I always like to look at the local art.  We had a mooch around town in the snow and then we went to find the Trolls.  This museum was absolutely crazy daft...  it was totally dedi